What is Baptism?
1. BAPTISM IS ABOUT WHAT GOD IS DOING.
- No “do-overs” necessary.
- It’s a super-natural, God moment.
Romans 6:3-4 (ESV) - Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
2. MODE DOESN’T MATTER. IT’S ABOUT WATER AND THE WORD.
- Sprinkle and immersion are both valid.
Ephesians 5:26-27 (ESV) - That he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.
3. IT’S A FREE GIFT, COMMANDED FOR “KIDS” OF ALL AGES.
- We baptize from infants to elderly
- It brings us into family together.
Acts 2:38-39 (ESV) - ...“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
4. IT’S A PHYSICAL SIGN OF GOD'S LOVE & OUR ADOPTION INTO HIS FAMILY.
- Ever in doubt of God’s love? Remember your baptism.
Matthew 3:16-17 (ESV) - And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”